A few years ago, Queensland entrepreneur Janina Byrne decided to combine her environmental conscience with her love of practical items to create EnviroTrend. The innovative company offers a range of backpacks, bags and other carry items that aim to bring a more stylish edge to the standard ‘eco green bag.’ Now that summer has well and truly arrived, EnviroTrend have released their new Pack & Go Collection featuring five lightweight (and lovely looking!) bags. I recently caught up with Janina to chat about the launch!
Can you tell us a bit about the new range and what inspired it?
Our new Pack & Go Collection was inspired by our busy lifestyles and designed to have multiple uses.
* SAKitToMe and EnviroChill Maxi are perfect for groceries as well as weekend leisure, such as picnics.
* EnviroChill Mini can be a lunchbox or used to take a 6-pack to a party.
* PAKitToMe Backpacks and FoldAway Travellers can be your ‘around the world’ travel companion, daily gym buddy or sleepover bag. Whatever you use them for, they fold away to almost nothing and don’t clutter your home.
The colours and prints were inspired by spring and summer. The Apple Blossom print is just about as girly and pretty as you can get. The stripes collection, while not specifically aimed at men, didn’t offend the blokes we surveyed who said they’d be happy to carry it for their female counterparts. Both are also easy to spot amongst drab luggage colours on an airport luggage belt!
Can you talk us through how your products are made and what makes them environmentally friendly?
Our products are made from high quality fabrics and workmanship and while they are inexpensive, they are designed to last. Our SAKitToMe bags are specifically aimed at replacing supermarket plastic bags. The fabrics are made using a portion of recycled material and because they are so strong they will last a long time and replace many plastic bags over their lifespan. Not all of our products are purely environmentally friendly –we have a two pronged name – ‘Enviro’ refers to the eco side of our business and ‘Trend’ refers to the groovy, compact and travel products in our range.
EnviroTrend has been around for a couple of years now. What first sparked the idea?
We first saw a gap in the market around 2006. So many people were using the awful green supermarket bags for so many things other than the groceries. In fact, we did ourselves and from that we came up with the EnviroShopper- a more attractive version of the utilitarian supermarket version. From there we developed the range and branched out into compact products and travel products. We love anything that’s practical and makes our busy lives easier and less cluttered.
What are your favourite products and why?
At the moment, the FoldAway Traveller is my absolute favourite – it has saved me a couple of times recently. Especially with excess stuff that didn’t fit into my carry-on bag which I was able to check in.
Lastly, what are your top 3 tips for people wanting to live a greener, cleaner life?
* Always have a compact bag (preferably our SAKitToMe!) in your handbag, car or attached to your keys so you don’t need to use the plastic bag offered by any shops, not just supermarkets.
* Think about whether you need the bread, eggs and milk you’ve just popped in to buy in a plastic bag. Surely you can carry them to the car and into the house without a bag!
* Recycle and compost. It’s so easy these days!
Shop the full Pack & Range on the EnviroTrend website.